Basketball is a very popular game played in many parts of the world especially more in the United States where it was invented. This game is popular in many countries like Russia, UK, Spain and Germany. Most of the schools and colleges have basketball courts. Many competitions are held at inter-school and inter-college levels, throughout the year for the students. This has helped to spread the popularity of the game among students. If you want to buy basketball online then this is the right place to buy and know more about how to choose good basketball for you.
The most essential equipment in a basketball game is the ball and the court. A basketball team would consist of 12 members but only 5 players are allowed to play in the basketball court.
A basketball player must know these rules –
Rules to be followed by the basketball players
- The players in the basketball court at any given time must be 5. Substitutions can be done any number of times.
- The players must bounce, dribble or pass the basketball when moving in the court.
- A player cannot kick the basketball or hit with fist.
- Once the player touches the basketball with two hands then it has to be passed to the other player.
- The player can take only one turn at dribbling.
- The ball and the player must be inside the court during play.
- The player’s hand must be on top of the basketball while dribbling.
- If the player’s hand touch the bottom of the ball while dribbling then the player loses the ball to the other team.
- Players cannot touch the basketball when it is travelling down to the basket or it is on the rim.
- If the basketball goes into the other half and the players win the possession of the ball then it must reach the half way line within 10 seconds. If not, a foul will be called and ball will be then turned over to the other team.
Basketball Court size
The basketball court is rectangular in shape having a length of 91 feet and a width of 50 feet. There is a line in the center, on which a circle is drawn. The game starts here when the referee throws the ball up and players from the two teams try to take possession of the ball. At the two ends of the rectangular court, there are baskets at a height of 10 feet. A three-point line which is arc shaped, is drawn 23 feet 9 inches from the center of the basket. But the distance of this line from the center of the basket, could slightly vary depending on the competition level.
- It is a vertical board with an attached basket.
- Its 72 inches wide by 42 inches tall.
- The basketball rims (hoop) is 18 inches in diameter.
- The inner rectangle on the backboard is 24 inches wide by 18 inches tall.
The game is split into four 12 minute quarters. After two quarters there is a break of 15 minutes. The points are scored when the player throws the basketball successfully into the opponent’s basket.
There are three ways how a player can score points.
- If a player successfully throws the basketball into the basket from outside the three-point arc, they get 3 points.
- If a player successfully throws the basketball into the basket from within the three-point arc, they get 2 points.
- Successful free throws result in 1 point being scored. Free throws are given when foul is committed.
The teams scoring more points at the end of the game will be the winner.
The basketball size ranges from 1 to 7. They also differ in colour and material used for making these balls. To choose the right basketball, age of the player, surface of the playing court and the level of play have to be considered while selecting the right size of the basketball.
|Age of players||Size of Basketball||Circumference||Weight|
|Children of 2 – 4 years |
4 – 6 years
Children upto 8 years
9 – 11 years
12 – 14 years
Above 15 years
|16 inches |
For choosing the right basketball, age is very important
- Children between age 2 & 4 should choose basketball of Size 1. They are also called micro-mini basketballs. It is 16 inches and 226.7g.
- Children between 4 & 6 years should choose a basketball of Size 3. It is called Mini basketballs. It weighs 283.4g and it is 22 inches in circumference.
- Children upto 8 years should select a basketball of Size 4. It is 396.8g and 25.5 inches in circumference.
- Children of 9 – 11 years should be selecting a basketball of Size 5. It is 27.5 inches in circumference.
- Women above 12 years and boys about 12 – 14 years should choose Size 6 basketball. It is 28.5 inches in circumference.
- For children above 15 years, Size 7 is recommended. It is 75cm in circumference. It is considered as the standard size of basketball.
Types of basketball
Based on the material used to make these balls, basketballs are of three types and they are used on different playing surface.
These basketball are durable and it can be used on any type of surface. These basketballs are especially good for concrete and outdoors. These basketballs are good for beginners to develop skills.
2. Synthetic Basketballs
These basketballs are good for indoor as well as outdoor play. They are made of synthetically produced leather. These basketballs are very durable.
3. Leather Basketballs
Leather basketballs are used by professional players. These balls are soft on hand. They become softer after much use. These basketballs should be used indoor only.
Here are some best basketball options for you. If you want to buy a basketball online you can take a look at the specifications given below and buy the best basketball for you.
Cosco HI Grip Basketball : Shop Now
Cosco HI Grip Basketball is approved by basketball federation of India. It’s water-resistant, durable and long-lasting. A passionate basketball player would be proud to own this.
Deep channel design
| Basketball 7 |
Natural rubber moulded
To provide excellent grip
Intermediate and Advanced level
Cosco HI Grip Basketball : Shop Now
Cosco HI Grip Basketball is recommended for playing matches and tournaments.
580 – 650g
75 – 77cm
Nivia Europa: Shop Now
Nivia Europa is water resistant and better build for shooting, passing, dribbling and rebounding. It has 8-panel universal design. It’s a ball that you would like to take control of. So go for it.
10 years and above
400 – 410g
Wooden flooring & indoor synthetic
surface, Hard surface
Nivia Top Grip Basketball : Shop Now
Nivia Top Grip Basketball is durable, sturdy and long lasting. Its build for maximum output. It’s water resistant and good for practice as well as match level games. A basketball, which you would love to have.
Number of panels
Broad and deep groove
Indoor synthetic surface.
Federation of India
For better grip and control
Remember the famous words by George Bernard Shaw, ‘You don’t stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing’. So enjoy a game of basketball with friends. To get the best online basketball of your choice, please visit THETIDKES
All sports goods, related to cricket, badminton, volleyball, gym equipment, football etc. are available at our ecommerce platform www.thetidkes.com . Carom boards, chess boards, yoga mats and skipping ropes are also available with ‘THE TIDKES’. Do visit our retail store, TT SPORTS, at Akola, Maharashtra to find a wide range of sports products and accessories. We are authorized distributors of Cosco, Yonex, Nivia, Spartan, SS, Tennex, Konex and many more Indian and global brands.
You can contact us through social media.